Crown Cycles was formed in 1948 by its founder, W. J. Cloete, after returning from World War II, while being stationed at the Crown Mines. Situated in the suburb of Claremont, it was one of the first bicycle shops in Cape Town.
W.J. Cloete was later joined in the 1950's by his Son, William Frank Cloete. William was one of the Top Road and Track Cyclists in the Western Cape at the time, Winning some of the biggest races around, like the 25 Mile (ixl trophy) Track Race on 3 Occasions.(1959, 1961, 1962) William was one of the fastest sprinters around and very few cyclists could pass him in a Sprint to the Finish Line.
William eventually took over the business from his Father. Crown Cycles provided bicycle sales, all bicycle spares and repaired any type of bicycle available at that time. Crown Cycles managed to survive the bad times in South African history whilst moving premises often, but remained in Lansdowne Road being supported by their loyal customers.
William was joined by his Sons Gary, Hilton and Oscar Cloete, who were also competitive Cyclists over the last 30 years. Together they have competed in many Western Province and SA National Championships, Argus Tours, to name a few. One of the Brothers has also received his SA Colours in Track Cycling. William eventually retired in 2012.
With their knowledge of Racing over the Years, its easy to relate to their Customers with friendly advise and tips, always trying to deliver Great Service, striving to remain one of the Best Bike Shops in Cape Town.
William Cloete with some of the trophies he won. - Photo: 1959 and 1963