Crown Cycles was formed in 1948 by its founder,
W. J. Cloete, after returning from World War II, while being
stationed at the Crown Mines. Situated in the suburb of Claremont,
it was one of the first bicycle shops in Cape Town.
W.J. Cloete was later joined in the 1950's by his Son, William Frank
Cloete. William was one of the Top Road and Track Cyclists in the
Western Cape at the time, Winning some of the biggest races around,
like the 25 Mile (ixl trophy) Track Race on 3 Occasions.(1959, 1961,
1962) William was one of the fastest sprinters around and very few
cyclists could pass him in a Sprint to the Finish Line.
William eventually took over the business from his Father. Crown
Cycles provided bicycle sales, all bicycle spares and repaired any
type of bicycle available at that time. Crown Cycles managed to
survive the bad times in South African history whilst moving
premises often, but remained in Lansdowne Road being supported by
their loyal customers.
William was joined by his Sons Gary, Hilton and Oscar Cloete, who
were also competitive Cyclists over the last 30 years. Together they
have competed in many Western Province and SA National
Championships, Argus Tours, to name a few. One of the Brothers has
also received his SA Colours in Track Cycling. William eventually
retired in 2012.
With their knowledge of Racing
over the Years, its easy to relate to their Customers with friendly
advise and tips, always trying to deliver Great Service, striving to
remain one of the Best Bike Shops in Cape Town.
William Cloete with some
of the trophies he won. - Photo:
1959 and 1963